This week, we’re crushin’ on American singer-songwriter, Elizabeth Mencel a.k.a ROZES. After collab-ing with the likes of The Chainsmokers and Galantis, she released her latest single, Famous last week (and we’ve had it on our playlist ever since.)
Here’s what went down when grabbed five…
1. How did it all start for you?
When I was about six years old and decided I wanted to be Paula Abdul.
2. What does your typical day look like?
I don’t know that I ever have a “typical” day. When I’m home, I start my mornings at the gym, then head into my home studio and pretty much write all day. Sometimes I don’t write at all, and draw, or Netflix binge, haha!
3. Describe your sound in three words…
Tropical emotional dance-pop.
4. What was your most memorable gig?
I recently got to play my hometown at The Foundry, in Philadelphia. My Nanny Rose (my grandma) was the first person I saw in the crowd when I walked on stage. She’s my biggest inspiration, and it saddens me to know she won’t be here on earth with me forever. Sadly, she’s developed dementia over the years and can’t remember most of the things she used to, but that night she knew that was me up there on stage, and she had the biggest smile I had ever seen. I will never forget that show and I feel so blessed to have that memory.
5. What did you have on your playlist growing up?
Matchbox Twenty – 3AM
Christina Aguilera – What a Girl Wants
Spice Girls – Wanna Be
Natalie Imbruglia – Torn
Mariah Carey- Always Be My Baby
(I was SUCH a 90s baby!)
6. What’s the last song you listened to?
Havana – Camila Cabello
7. Who’s the coolest person you’ve met?
8. If you could collab with anyone who would it be and why?
Twenty One Pilots. I think we would have such an awesome style of collaboration. It would be so fun to blur genre lines.
9. What does 2017 have in store for you?
I’ll be hitting the road for about a month and a half with MAX starting in October. Other than that I’ll be releasing lots of music & writing some more! I’m super excited what the rest of the year has in store for me, and really can’t wait for everyone to hear my new music.
10. What advice would you give anyone wanting to get into music?
My best advice is to learn how to do it all yourself. Learn how to play an instrument, learn how to write your own music, and learn how to produce your own demos. No one can tell you who to be if you already know who you are.
1. I really can’t live without…
My rose crown
2. At the weekend I can be found…
Hanging out with my friends and dogs
3. My special skills are…
Hoola hooping, and doing grinch impressions
4. I’m always talking about…
Needing a vacation
5. The hashtag I always use is…
6. A word or phrase I overuse is…
“Oh my gowd, are you serious?”
7. If I was an emoji I’d be…
Get the look…
Follow her @rozessounds